Monday, May 08, 2006

Other things I was going to call this blog (or, why it takes me a long time to get things done)

  • Effing the Ineffable. Title of the short opinion piece I'll post next, came to me while gardening, thought it was stunningly original until I googled it and found over 30,000 hits, including two blogs already with that title and its use in the London Review of Books. News of my unoriginality could have, on a bad day, completely derailed my attempt to get this blog going. Again
  • The Misanthropic Humanist. A label I very proudly applied to myself in high school. Now it sounds like an attempt to impress others by using a four syllable word with a three syllable, which it probably was. I still like the paradoxical juxtoposition (a shameless pairing of two five syllable words) and I'll probably write about my views on the paradoxes of being human at some future date, when I feel the need to impress others with my massive (yet humble) intellect again.
  • Happy Chaos Freedom Machine. This was the title of a feeble previous attempt at a blog, abandoned shortly after the first post. Or was it halfway through the first post? And now lost to the ages, unretrievable even via the Wayback Machine. I love this phrase as well, a translation of a pictographic character designed to signify the Internet as imagined by me. A long way to go for a witticism, I know, but imagine a culture with a language something like Mandarin where words are built up out of simpler constructs trying to come up with a representation of this crazy new technology. Okay so maybe it isn't that witty. It's not, I will point out, the title of this incarnation of my blog.
  • A half dozen other clever/cute combinations of words - these I can't even remember, only the feeling of deflation as I realized that a) they were too clever by half and only revealed that I was trying too hard and b) I was spending uncountable hours on titling my blog and not on actually writing for it. More on procrastination later.
  • Frommitz' Patented All-Purpose Thingamebobby Collecting Contraption. One split-second of shame later and I'd simplified this to "All-Purpose Stuff Collector." Which I can live with. For now. I'll probably revisit this. Can you tell I think about doing stuff more than I actually get stuff done? Thought so.

No comments: